The Mequon-Thiensville Board of Education provides oversight that enables the public education system to successfully achieve the ideals and goals set out in the Strategic Plan. The Mequon-Thiensville School District Board of Education utilizes a governance model to achieve the strategic goals of the organization.
WHAT IS GOVERNANCE?
Governance is the process of providing strategic leadership to a school district in the form of an elected board member. It entails the functions of:
• setting a strategic vision,
• revising, reviewing and developing policy,
• reviewing and approving a budget that is aligned with the strategic plan,
• overseeing and monitoring organizational performance, recruiting, hiring and evaluating the superintendent, and
• ensuring overall accountability within the school district.
The Board will assure that all its members have the knowledge, skills and support necessary to carry out excellence in governance, which will be achieved by:
• training new members and candidates, as well as maintaining and increasing current member skills and knowledge; and
• engaging in external monitoring that helps the Board to exercise confident control over organizational performance.