The Mequon-Thiensville Board of Education provides oversight that enables the public education system to successfully achieve the ideals and goals set out in the strategic plan. The board uses a governance model to achieve the strategic goals of the organization. Governance is the process of providing strategic leadership to a school district by executing the following functions:
• Setting a strategic vision
• Revising, reviewing and developing policy
• Reviewing and approving a budget that is aligned with the strategic plan
• Overseeing and monitoring organizational performance, recruiting, hiring and evaluating the superintendent
• Ensuring overall accountability within the school district
The Board ensures that all its members have the knowledge, skills, and support necessary to carry out excellence in governance by training new members and candidates, as well as maintaining and increasing current member skills and knowledge. The board engages in external monitoring in order to exercise confident control over organizational performance.