Board Responsibilities & Community Engagement
The Mequon-Thiensville School District is a public school district that represents the interests of a diverse and highly engaged community. The board values the input and insight of its stakeholders and believes that effective board-stakeholder engagement strengthens the board’s role as an active, informed and engaged governance body.
Ultimately, the role of the board is to advance public education, to develop informed policy and to reach prudent fiduciary decisions for the district. In addition, its role is to ensure that there is effective and visionary leadership from the superintendent of schools through proper selection and evaluation. To further facilitate such engagement and communication, this policy outlines the procedures for the board’s engagement and communication with the district’s stakeholders.
As the elected governing body of the Mequon-Thiensville School District, the board of education is responsible for:
- Establishing policy. The administration implements policy and supervises school operations.
- Employing and evaluating the superintendent, the chief administrator who oversees all operations of the school district.
- Advocating for students with lawmakers.
- Establishing and approving the annual budget.
- Setting the annual local school levy.
- Working with administrators to determine the district’s educational goals.
- Interpreting the needs of the community regarding the educational program.
- Communicating with stakeholders.
- Ratifying employee contracts.
- Authorizing development and revision of curriculum and student services.
- Approving expenditures and ensure that proper facilities and equipment are available to support teaching and learning in all Mequon-Thiensville Schools.
Transparency of Governance
Board members do not have the authority to act individually in the name of the board. The board may take action only at duly convened regular, special or emergency meetings. Policies, meeting agendas and reports are available in BoardDocs, an online system that the district uses to collect and distribute board materials.