Climate and Culture
Our mission is that together, we will ignite each student’s passion for learning, preparing for a life of infinite possibilities. A positive school climate and culture is essential to realizing that mission. What are climate and culture? We think of climate and culture in terms of seven broad categories:
- Student Relationships: Do students have relationships and connections to their school and adults in their school?
- Learning Environment: Is the learning environment rigorous, but also supportive of each child according to need?
- Safety & Well-Being: Do students feel cared for and/or safe physically, socially, and emotionally?
- Physical Environments: Do physical environments support student learning and growth?
- Contracted Services: Do programs meet students' needs?
- Family Engagement: Are families engaged and connected partners in education?
- Overall District Quality: Does the district provide a quality educational program and effectively communicate and engage with families?
In order to understand perceptions of our schools’ and our district’s climate and culture, we invited MTSD parents and guardians to participate in a survey focusing on these seven categories. Schools and the district will use these results to enhance the educational experience for all students and families while monitoring progress toward strategic goals.
2020-21 Key Facts & Insights
- The Climate and Culture Survey was open for approximately two weeks.
- Families received two direct emails and reminders via e-newsletters and social media to encourage participation.
- 542 responses were submitted.
- 83 percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that "The adults in my child's school care about my child's social and emotional well-being."
- 87 percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that "My child's teachers are available and communicative when I have a question or concern."
- 85 percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that "My child feels safe at school."
- 70 percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that "My child's school is kept clean."
- 92 percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that "The school's transportation service is reliable."
- 87 percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that "Communication with families occurs in an open and respectful manner."
- 87 percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed with the statement "I feel well-informed of important updates from the Mequon-Thiensville School District."