On April 7, 2020, voters in the Mequon-Thiensville School District approved a $55.7 million referendum to address facility needs across the Mequon-Thiensville School District. The approval of the referendum followed an 18-month planning process that began in fall of 2018.
MTSD identified a variety of needs related to school facilities, including increasing space in buildings that are at or nearing capacity due to increasing enrollment, and maximizing the safety of our schools from the standpoints of security and accessibility.
What has been accomplished since the vote?
After the referendum passed in April, planning and development of a timeline for construction projects began in partnership with Eppstein Uhen Architects (EUA) and Hunzinger Construction Company. Following the April 7 vote, MTSD and its partners have completed the following:
- Schematic Design - MTSD, EUA, and Hunzinger Construction Company reviewed and formalized project requirements and goals.
- Traffic Studies - Traffic Analysis and Design, Inc. (TADI) visited elementary and middle school sites to re-analyze traffic flow due to this year’s adjusted procedures for parent pick-up and drop-off. Reconfiguration of traffic circulation and parking lot queuing will occur at different stages with each school.
As we move into the spring, next steps will include:
- Design Development - Designs are created to meet project requirements and goals in addition to interior design & furniture selection.
- Construction Documents - Refining design to ensure budget alignment and finalizing bidding and selection of vendors.
- Building Construction - Construction work will begin at schools with a goal of remaining on time and on budget.
As the design phase of the referendum project comes to a close, pre-construction and bidding are expected to take place from February to April with groundbreaking and construction to follow. Please visit this site regularly for updates and other news on the ongoing referendum project.
The MTSD Referendum Project aligns with Goal 5 of our Strategic Plan:
Engage stakeholders in the development of a comprehensive long-range facility plan that reflects the expectations, desires, and values of the community.
All members of the community are invited to stay regularly updated! Sign up to receive our monthly e-newsletter, Momentum.