Adding a New Sport
Procedure for Adding a New Sport at Homestead
Students, teachers, staff, or parents may initiate the process for establishing a new sport or expanding an existing sport to another level. The steps listed below should be followed:
- All requests to establish a new sport or expand an existing sport to another level will initially be presented to the Homestead High School Athletic Director.
- The Athletic Director will take the request to the school Principal for comment and approval for consideration.
- If the Principal approves the request for consideration, the Principal or designee then forwards the request to the Superintendent, with his/her comments.
- The Superintendent, Principal, and Athletic Director gather information about each of the elements for consideration of the proposal for approval or disapproval. The following elements are considered in the approval of a new sport or the expansion of an existing sport:
- Compatibility with MTSD policies and regulations
- Liability and safety
- Compliance with Title IX and other applicable laws
- Availability of practice and game space
- Availability of same-level competition locally
- Appropriateness for student group
- Demonstrated interest in the sport among current students
- Sustainability over time (demonstrated interest among future HHS students)
- Timeliness of the request and financial impact in relation to the MTSD budget cycle
- Availability of staff (including sponsors, coaches, and trainers)
- Availability of adequate administrative supervision
- Anticipated costs for coaches, equipment, uniforms, possible travel, competitions, etc.
Erich Hinterstocker, HHS Athletic Director
Mequon-Thiensville School District
5000 W. Mequon Rd.
Mequon, WI 53092