Information for Graduating Seniors Class of 2020
The resilience of our Class of 2020 has most certainly been tested. Spending time away from school, teachers, staff, and friends is not how our seniors should be celebrating the culmination of their years of education and launching them into their next steps. Through the uncertainty, we are committed to celebrating the milestone achievement as our graduating Class of 2020.
I am pleased to announce that we will hold an in-person celebration at Homestead High School on the football field on Saturday, July 18, starting at 5 p.m. as was planned.
Graduates will be allowed to bring up to TWO guests, who will sit together in a pod of three seats on the football field. There will be no ticket distribution, but graduates and their guests will have an assigned seating location. In order to meet health guidelines, additional seats will not be available.
We will be live-streaming the event so that those family members and friends who will not be able to attend due to our restricted capacity can still participate virtually. We will also have professional photographers present taking photos, which will be available for purchase.
In working with the Washington Ozaukee Public Health Department, we believe we have a plan that will meet the needs of our students and families, while being as safe as possible. With that said, attending the graduation ceremony is optional. If you do not plan to attend the ceremony on Saturday, July 18 there will be a drive-through opportunity to receive your diploma on Friday, July 17. Graduates, please click on this link and fill out the form if you would prefer this option.
Final details of the ceremony, expectations, directions, and information about how to access the live-stream will be provided by the middle of next week.
Thank you again for your patience and flexibility throughout this process.
Salute to Homestead Graduates
Local television station MY24 (Channel 24 in Milwaukee) hosted a Salute to Homestead High School graduates, which premiered on Thursday, June 11 at 7 p.m.
The News Graphic produced a special section honoring Homestead graduates in their Tuesday, June 9 edition. Along with the names of all graduates, the newspaper also offered families the opportunity to purchase a small ad to honor their graduate.
We launched an interactive polling tool called a Thoughtexchange to discover different perspectives and to inform our decisions on the question:
What are your ideas for celebrating senior year milestones, traditions and graduation?
In order to participate in the graduation ceremony for the Class of 2020, the following obligations must be met:
1. All classes must be completed and final exams recorded. Please note that we will continue the senior privilege of allowing exam exemptions in the final trimester for each course in which a student meets the exemption criteria as outlined in the Parent and Student Handbook.
2. Credits must be completed as required by Wisconsin State statute and MTSD School Board policy.
3. All detentions must be served. Detentions may be served after school from 2:55 to 3:25 p.m. in room 702.
4. All fines and outstanding monetary bills must be paid.
5. IMPORTANT: The state-mandated civics exam must be taken and passed. Students who do not complete the civics exam successfully are not only excluded from the graduation ceremony. They are also not eligible for a diploma from a public school in Wisconsin. Students can take the exam on-line any time. It is available on the Homestead website under the “Students and Families” dropdown menu. Click on “Technology Resources” to access the exam. If you have not already done so, please address this obligation ASAP.