Information for Graduating Seniors Class of 2020
The resilience of our Class of 2020 has most certainly been tested. Spending time away from school, teachers, staff, and friends is not how our seniors should be celebrating the culmination of their years of education and launching them into their next steps. Through the uncertainty, we are committed to celebrating the milestone achievement as our graduating Class of 2020.
Salute to Homestead Graduates
Local television station MY24 (Channel 24 in Milwaukee) will host a Salute to Homestead High School graduates, which will premiere on Thursday, June 11 at 7 p.m.! Please be sure to tune in to see this special tribute to our senior class.
Special Feature in News Graphic - June 9
We are working with our local community newspaper, the News Graphic, to produce a special section honoring Homestead graduates in their Tuesday, June 9 edition. Along with the names of all graduates, the newspaper is also offering families the opportunity to purchase a small ad to honor their graduate. The ad would include your graduate’s name, photo, a short message of congratulations, and would cost $25. See more information below to learn how to place an ad.
We are now thrilled to announce the plan for a postponed graduation ceremony. The new date will be Saturday, July 18 at 5 p.m., and the ceremony will be held at Miller Park in Milwaukee, home to the Milwaukee Brewers.
Hosting graduation at Miller Park will allow us to allocate the same number of tickets as we usually do, ensuring that families and loved ones can participate in this momentous occasion. Trained Miller Park staff members will also be on hand to help maintain social distancing and safety for all. In short, as one of the largest venues in Wisconsin, Miller Park is the best choice for our graduation ceremony because it will allow us to follow all prudent measures to ensure safety. We also believe this site will allow us to create an event like none other.
We’ll have more details for you soon, but for now please save the date for an opportunity to celebrate the Class of 2020 in style.
We all hope it is not the case, but please note that if state or local health guidelines in place on July 18 prevent this event from taking place as planned, we will hold a virtual ceremony.
We launched an interactive polling tool called a Thoughtexchange to discover different perspectives and to inform our decisions on the question:
What are your ideas for celebrating senior year milestones, traditions and graduation?
The Homestead High School PTSO is continuing a graduation tradition that is a favorite among graduates and families alike: the Grad Greeting. This is a thoughtful way for relatives, teachers, employers, neighbors, friends, and even pets, to express their personal congratulations to our graduating seniors.
Your Grad Greeting(s) will include a personalized message along with the sender’s name. All greetings will then be assembled into individual booklets for each graduate containing his/her messages. The booklets are bound with red ribbon and mailed to the students after graduation. These booklets are keepsakes to be treasured for years to come!
In order to participate in the graduation ceremony for the Class of 2020, the following obligations must be met:
1. All classes must be completed and final exams recorded. Please note that we will continue the senior privilege of allowing exam exemptions in the final trimester for each course in which a student meets the exemption criteria as outlined in the Parent and Student Handbook.
2. Credits must be completed as required by Wisconsin State statute and MTSD School Board policy.
3. All detentions must be served. Detentions may be served after school from 2:55 to 3:25 p.m. in room 702.
4. All fines and outstanding monetary bills must be paid.
5. IMPORTANT: The state-mandated civics exam must be taken and passed. Students who do not complete the civics exam successfully are not only excluded from the graduation ceremony. They are also not eligible for a diploma from a public school in Wisconsin. Students can take the exam on-line any time. It is available on the Homestead website under the “Students and Families” dropdown menu. Click on “Technology Resources” to access the exam. If you have not already done so, please address this obligation ASAP.