Merit Awards recognize students who participate in school activities, exhibit a positive attitude in their classes, or perform service for the Mequon-Thiensville School District. Students who qualify for a Merit Award receive a specially designed award at the award ceremony.
- What are the qualifications for receiving a Merit Award?
- Can I include service activities from the summer or last school year?
- What is the application procedure?
- When are applications due?
- Where can I find out about volunteer opportunities?
- Membership in a club, athletic team, non-athletic team (debate, math, etc.), cast in play or musical. To be certified by faculty advisor.
- Projecting a positive attitude towards school work (to be certified by two teachers).
- Performance of 10 hours of service for the Mequon-Thiensville School District and/or its partner organizations. Service must take place between April 14, 2018 and April 10, 2019. Qualifying organizations include: Homestead, Lake Shore, Steffen, Donges Bay, Oriole Lane, Wilson, Range Line, MTEF, M-T Recreation Department, M-T Rotary, M-T Optimists, T-M Lions Club, Turkey Trot, and Gathering on the Green. Activities for organizations other than the ones listed above, must receive prior approval from the Assistant Principal in order to be considered as qualifying hours for this award. Example approved activities:
- tutoring an MTSD student
- assisting MTSD teachers with work
- decorating for events such as Homecoming or Prom
- playing in band or pit orchestra
- participating in a food or clothing collection campaign
- ushering or taking tickets at events
- working at PTSO, Rec Department & Rotary events and projects. Service work for which a student receives money or credit for a class does not apply. Service work that is not for the Mequon-Thiensville School District or its partners does not apply. Service hours must be signed off by an adult supervising the activity or event.
- Attendance at 4 or more activities such as athletics, social, musical or theatrical events (to be certified by parent on form).
Applicants should download a Merit Award Application or pick up a form in the Student Office. The application form includes sections for coaches, advisors, teachers, supervisors to review and sign. Students should complete the required sections and ask the appropriate adult to validate their qualifying activities. Students should return the completed form to the student office no later than 3 p.m. on April 10, 2019.