The Mequon-Thiensville School District has achieved a ranking of “Significantly Exceeds Expectations” on the 2022-2023 District Report Cards issued in November 2023 by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) with an overall score of 83.5. The district's ranked score is the 8th highest score or in the top 2%, among 367 K-12 public school districts in the state. MTSD has significantly exceeded expectations all nine years that the District Report Cards have been produced.
As part of the state accountability system, the DPI produces report cards for every publicly funded school and district in Wisconsin. Though the DPI warns against comparing outcomes longitudinally in that how scores are arrived at has changed from year to year, the report cards are a useful resource that the District uses to reflect on our strengths and areas for improvement. They provide a helpful point of comparison against other comparable Wisconsin public school districts.
At the foundation of the Wisconsin District and School Report Cards are four priority areas. Schools and districts receive a score for each priority area:
- Achievement - proficiency in English language arts (ELA) and mathematics on the annual state assessments
- Growth - year-to-year progress in ELA and math achievement
- Target Group Outcomes - outcomes for students with the lowest test scores: the Target Group
- On-Track to Graduation - reliable predictors of how successfully students are progressing toward completing their K-12 education
For the report cards most recently released, the DPI has shared that multiple years of data impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic are used throughout the report card in most of the priority area scores:
- Both the Achievement and Growth scores use up to three years of data including (2020-21, 2021-22, and 2022-23) for those school districts that have it.
- The graduation, attendance, and absenteeism components in On-Track to Graduation use lagged data (from 2021-22) and absenteeism scores may use up to three years of data (including 2020-21 and 2019-20).
- Target Group Outcomes is based on lagged data as well as multiple years of data.
All six schools in the Mequon-Thiensville School District exceed or significantly exceed expectations on this year’s report cards. Districtwide scores on the MTSD School Report Cards can be found on our district website. Some notable data points include:
- MTSD’s overall Achievement score registered in the top 4% of all public school districts in our state
- Each MTSD school’s overall student achievement score registered in the top 8% of schools in their category (grades K-5, 6-8, 9-12) across the state
- MTSD’s overall Growth score was in the top 5% of all K-12 schools in the state
- MTSD scored in the top 6% for Target Group Outcomes and the top 3% for Target Group Achievement compared to other K-12 school districts in Wisconsin
- MTSD’s overall Achievement scores compared to all K-12 school districts in the state ranked in the top 2% for English/Language Arts and top 3% for Mathematics
- MTSD registered the 3rd highest rate of Advanced Course Completers compared to all K-12 school districts in the state