- Rules: Girls and Boys 1st Grade Division
- Rules: Girls and Boys Grades 2-3 & 4-6 Divisions
- Map of Courts
- Picture Day Schedule
- Slammer Nights
- Practice Dates
Slammers Basketball Rules
Boys & Girls 1st Grade Divisions
1. The game consists of two 20-minute halves running time. There will be one clock for the entire field house. All games will begin at the same time and end at approximately the same time. Each game will have a 2-minute halftime. There will be no overtimes.
2. At the beginning of practice, 25-minutes will be placed on the clock. When the clock counts down to zero, 20-minutes will be placed on the clock and the game will begin in approximately two-minutes.
3. No score is kept.
4. The Coaches dribble the ball up the court and make an entry pass into the offense. Coaches will also initiate an entry pass from the top of the key if the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched by the defense or defensive foul takes place.
5. If a shooter is fouled in the act of shooting, then the ball should be reset to the top of the key and start play again. There are no free throws.
6. Man to man, ½ court defense must be played at all times. Once the offensive player crosses half court, the defender must be within 3 feet of the person he/she is guarding. The defense may not double-team the ball on the perimeter. Colored wristbands will be worn by each player to help determine who he/she is guarding. THERE WILL BE NO STEALING IN 1st GRADE THE ENTIRE SEASON.
7. It is the coaches’ responsibility to make sure all players get equal playing time. Substitutions are made every 4-minutes of each half unless there is an injury. It is the coaches, responsibility to watch the clock and make the substitutions. Substitutions will be made for each team at the same time and should be done quickly. This is not a time-out.
8. Coaches should make every attempt to distribute the ball equally.
9. A junior size ball (27.5) will be used. A ball rack of balls will be set out for practice. Please return the balls to the rack after practice. Keep one ball for the game ball. Make sure to return game balls to the rack after the game.
10. Games will played on 8’ ½” baskets.
11. There are no officials. The game is officiated by the coaches.
1. The game consists of two 20-minute running halves. The clock will stop for all free throws throughout the game, timeouts, and substitution periods. The clock will also stop on all whistles during the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half, if the point differential is 15 points or less. Each game will have a 2-minute halftime.
2. Each team is allowed 2 timeouts per half. The time-outs may not be carried over to the second half.
3. There will be NO overtime. If there is a tie after the second half, then the game is FINAL.
4. Man to man defense must be played at all times. Once the offensive player crosses half court, the defender must be within 3 feet of the person he/she is guarding. The defense may not double-team the ball. Help defense can be taught on screens, but then players should find their colored wristband to guard once both teammates are able to guard their appropriate color. Colored wristbands will be worn by each player in the 2nd/3rd grade divisions to help determine who he/she is guarding. Coaches need to talk to each other before the game to decide which color should be worn for the strongest player (RED) and which color for the weakest player (WHITE) on the court, so that they are guarding each other – Please be honest!! Switching of wristbands by the players is NOT allowed.
5. NEW RULE!! - There will be no stealing the ball from a player in 2/3 gr for the first 4 weeks of games in Jan, but then will be allowed the last 4 weeks of games in Feb. Stealing a pass is allowed the entire season however. Stealing in 4-6 gr. is allowed all season.
6. There will be NO full court press at all throughout the game.
7. 5 fouls on a player and that player is out of the game. 7 team fouls per half is a 1-1 bonus free throw and 10+ team fouls per half is a 2 shot free throw.
8. The free throw line will be moved closer to the basket for the 2/3 Grade divisions (2 ft closer). In all leagues the free throw shooter must line up behind the free throw line, but after the ball is released the player’s momentum may carry him/her over the free throw line without penalty.
9. Jump Ball situations will always be awarded to the defense.
10. Coaches should make every attempt to allow all players to bring the ball up the court during a game at least once.
11. It is the coaches’ responsibility to make sure that all of the players get equal playing time. Substitutions are made every 5-minutes of each half unless there is an injury. The official will stop the clock for substitutions. Substitutions will be made quickly. This is not a time-out. A player cannot play more than two consecutive substitution periods. Each player must play in at least half the game. The score sheet will have eight squares to correspond with the eight substitution periods.
12. A women’s ball (28.5) is used for each division except girls Gr 2/3 uses a junior size (27.5).
13. Games will played on 9’ baskets for Girls & Boys 2/3 Grade divisions. Game will be played on 10’ baskets for Girls & Boys 4-6 Grade divisions.
14. A rack of balls will be set out for practice – 4-5 balls per team. Please return the balls to the rack after practice. Keep one ball for the game ball. Make sure to return game balls to the rack after the game.
15. Each team must provide an adult at the scorer’s table. One adult will run the scoreboard and the other will run the score sheet.
16. Any player or coach who repeatedly exhibits negative behavior will be dropped from the league.
17. No earrings are allowed to be worn. Must be taken out to participate.
Slammers Picture Day Schedule
Picture day is January 12, 2020 in the Homestead High School Fieldhouse Lobby
|Team Name||Color||Grade||Head Coach||Picture Time|
|Bucks||Kelly Green||6th Boys||Benjamin Harris||11:00am|
|Warriors||Yellow||6th Boys||Chris Nolte||11:00am|
|Mystics||Yellow||4 – 6 Girls||Rich Ohde||11:10am|
|Sparks||Purple||4 – 6 Girls||Jesse Tilley||11:10am|
|Liberty||Light Blue||4 – 6 Girls||Mike Micallef||11:20am|
|Sting||Royal Blue||4 – 6 Girls||Scott Ansay||11:20am|
|Michigan||Yellow||2 & 3 Girls||Tony Bollier||11:30am|
|Iowa||Gold||2 & 3 Girls||Brian Lammi||11:30am|
|Ohio St||Grey||2 & 3 Girls||Ted Kosinski||11:40am|
|Wisconsin||Red||2 & 3 Girls||Kenny Flannery||11:40am|
|Illinois||Orange||2 & 3 Girls||Daniel Arnstein||11:50am|
|Purdue||White||2 & 3 Girls||Colleen McManus||11:50am|
|Syracuse||Orange||2 & 3 Boys||Allan Pacada||12:40pm|
|DePaul||Royal Blue||2 & 3 Boys||Brian Lammi||12:40pm|
|Notre Dame||Yellow||2 & 3 Boys||Todd Lecher||12:50pm|
|Georgetown||Grey||2 & 3 Boys||Brian Herro||12:50pm|
|Villanova||Light Blue||2 & 3 Boys||Brian McDonald||1:00pm|
|St Johns||Maroon||2 & 3 Boys||Chris Berg||1:00pm|
|Lakers||Yellow||4 & 5 Boys||Chris Berg||1:10pm|
|Celtics||Green||4 & 5 Boys||Robert Dorf||1:10pm|
|Bulls||Red||4 & 5 Boys||Craig Hull||1:20pm|
|Pistons||White||4 & 5 Boys||Shantanu Singh||1:20pm|
|Marquette||Gold||2 & 3 Boys||Kevin Mineard||2:20pm|
|Pittsburgh||Brown||2 & 3 Boys||Mike Micallef||2:20pm|
|Seton Hall||Navy Blue||2 & 3 Boys||Josh Sawyer||2:30pm|
|Louisville||Red||2 & 3 Boys||Brian Wesson||2:30pm|
|Connecticut||Navy Blue||2 & 3 Boys||Eric Baker||2:40pm|
|Cincinnati||White||2 & 3 Boys||Tim Rautmann||2:40pm|
|Heat||Orange||4 & 5 Boys||Brian McDonald||2:50pm|
|Knicks||Royal Blue||4 & 5 Boys||Todd Lecher||2:50pm|
|War Hawks||Yellow||1st Grade||Tim Clancy||3:50pm|
|Highlanders||Red||1st Grade||Kenny Flannery||3:50pm|
|Black Hawks||Orange||1st Grade||Eric Carlson||4:00pm|
|Pirates||Green||1st Grade||Brian Wesson||4:00pm|
|Red Knights||White||1st Grade||Kelly Appleby||4:10pm|
|Knights||Maroon||1st Grade||Daniel Arnstein||4:10pm|
|Blue Dukes||Royal Blue||1st Grade||Michael Levine||4:20pm|
|Bull Dogs||Grey||1st Grade||Andrew Calvert||4:20pm|
For boys & girls grades 1st – 6th
YOUR ATTENDANCE TO ONE OR BOTH OF THE BELOW HHS BASKETBALL GAMES IS WELCOMED & APPRECIATED. WEAR YOUR SLAMMER SHIRT TO GET IN FREE, WATCH THE EXCITING ACTION, COME ON COURT AT HALFTIME TO BE RECOGNIZED, AND ENTER TO WIN A FREE BB CAMP DURING SUMMER.
BOYS GRADES 1st – 6th should attend the boys Homestead High School game on Friday, December 20 against Hartford – Varsity Starts @ 7:15pmGIRLS GRADES 1st – 6th should attend the Girls Homestead High School
game on Friday, January 17 against Nicolet – Varsity Starts @ 7:15pm